There has been a true education that the followers of the Phoenix Coyotes bankruptcy case can attest to.
The story of a man who brought a flashlight to the dark caverns of the NHL and it’s operations, and helped to shine some light on things far from respectable. That man of course is Jerry Moyes. Mr. Moyes is continuing his battle as we know, in an anti trust suit against the NHL, which will likely further to humble the organization.
The MLSE in Toronto, continues to be humbled, as the arrogance of charging (and actually raising) high ticket prices has been met with backlash from the fans that have finally said enough is enough.
As an almost poetic justice, the team in Toronto has not yet won a game, and reflects an organization that truly needs to eat more humble pie before this process is done.
A story of man – how he thinks, operates, feels, and manipulates.
Interest on several levels – political, economic, legal, sociological, psychological, and spiritual.
What compelled me may have compelled many others. This case quickly transcended sport, and mere hockey to represent something bigger.
For some, like me, it was a spiritual lesson in how an organization and structure can be humbled and brought to it’s knees. Where greed and corruption and those that seemingly sense they have immunity to discipline can quickly find themselves to be the mere mortals that we all are.
Wealth, power and greed can become exposed in a heartbeat, and all the money and power can not stop the process.
The hockey case in Phoenix, Arizona has never been, nor will ever be remembered as just a hockey team that was looking to be sold and moved north. No, there is far more interest and intrigue to be “just” about hockey.
As the months had sailed by, one of the most interesting aspects of watching who were visiting were the hits from the various education facilities.
I have started to look at some of these again, and I want to share with you the names of these as I come across them again.
To think that this case could be used in teaching on the various mindful disciplines is intriguing. we should continue as a people to examine the far reaching implications that this case has exposed.
Here is a partial list of universities, colleges, and other educational institutions that I have come across in looking in the month of September:
- Saskatoon Board of Education, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
- San Bernadino County Superintendent of Schools, Colton, CA
- Peoria School District 11, Peoria, AZ
- Lafayette College, Easton, PA
- University of Denver, Denver, CO
- University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont
- New York University, New York
- Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- University of Montana, Missoula, Montana
- Northern Michigan University, Marquette, Michigan
- Metropolitan Education Council, Westerville, Ohio
- Houston Independent School district, Houston, TX
- Bloomington Independent School Ditrict, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- State University of New York, Oswego , New York
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado
- San Diego Jewish Academy, San Diego, CA
- McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
- University of Alberta, Canada
- University of Western, London, Ontario
- University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
- McGill University, Montreal, PQ
- Niagara Dist Catholic School Board, St. Catharines, Ontario
- Stamford Public Schools, Stamford, Conn
- Maricopa County Community College District, Tempe, AZ
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Ryerson University, Toronto
- Rhode Island Network For Educ. Technology, Woonsocket, RI
- Algonquin College, Ottawa
- Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- Birmingham Grid For Learning Core Infrastructure, Birmingham, UK
- University of Calgary, Canada
- Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Illinois
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- Allegheny College, Meadville, PA
- Allegheny Intermediate Unit, Coraopolis, PA
- University of Otago, New Zealand
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- North Carolina Research And Education Network, Durham, NC
- Canadian Department Of Education, Stellarton, NS
- California State University, Hayward, CA
- Colleges of the Fenway, Boston, MA
- University Of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Memorial University, Newfoundland, Canada
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- The Winnipeg School Division No. 1, Winnipeg, MB
- University of California, San Francisco
- Columbia University, New York
- Mohawk College, Hamilton, Ontario
- Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington
- Abu Dhabi Education Zone, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- University of Reno at Nevada
- George Brown College Of Applied Arts And Technology, Toronto, Ont
- Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, Louisiana
- Calgary Board Of Education, Calgary, AB
- Ottawa Carleton District School Board, Nepean, Ont
- Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, Missouri
- San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
- University Of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB
- Simon Fraser University, British Columbia
- Wake County Public Schools, Raleigh, NC
- Halton Catholic School Board, Burlington, Ont
- Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, Hamilton, Ont
- Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
- Orange County Department Of Education, Orange County, CA
- Princeton University
- Cornell University
- Royal Military College, Kingston, Ontario
- Georgia Department of Education, Dawson, Georgia
- University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- The Shipley School, Pennsylvania
- University Of Maryland, Mount Savage, Maryland
- University of British Columbia, BC
- Jazan University, Jazan, Jizan, Saudi Arabia
- Higher Colleges Of Technology, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- University of Missouri, Kansas City
- University of Missouri, Rolla, Missouri
- Universidade Federal Do Piaui, Brazil
- University of Arizona, Tucson
I will continue to add to this list as I come across more, as I know I have left some out. If you have visited and do not see your school listed, I encourage you to come back to refresh my memory.
We here at makeiteighteh.com would be happy to have you use this material in any assignment you may have in any educational area, and if you like, let us know in the comments section all additional insights you can share with us.
You can also email us at email@example.com if you would like us to post a paper you are proud of, that will continue to educate us all in this fascinating study.
To go on here, we were also visited by various government bodies, including:
- Canadian Olympic Association, Toronto, Ontario
- United States Senate, Washington, DC
- FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation)
- Dept. of Fiscal Policy
- U.S. Department of Justice
- Defense Research Establishment Ottawa
- National Public Relations in Toronto, Canada (which I assume had something to do with the CCB)
- Correctional Services Canada, Ottawa
- Public Service Commission of Canada, Ottawa
- Health and Welfare Agency (U.S.)
- St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, Lincroft, NJ
- United Jewish Communities, West Orange, NJ
And, municipalities and governments include, but are not limited to:
- Maricopa County, Phoenix, AZ
- City of Mississauga, Ontario
- City of Winnipeg, Winnipeg, MB
- City of Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, California
- City of Phoenix, AZ
- City of Glendale, AZ
- Town of Barre, Milton, Vermont
- Province of British Columbia
- Province of Saskatchewan
- City of Toronto, Ont
- State of New Jersey, USA
Again, these are partial lists, and I apologize for that.
We also had several law offices visit our site that I will not mention here, and I do not think it would be appropriate considering they could have been directly involved at some level with this case.
And of course, we had the NHL office themselves visit on at least two occasions. Interestingly, when we called that Jerry Moyes was the vicitim of a squeeze play, and second, when we reported on the story of the NHLPA.
Kind of interesting in the timing of those visits by the NHL.
This story has touched many of us on various levels. It has never just been about a hockey team.
How man treats man, how man takes advantage of his fellow man, and how a man is impelled by greed or other corruption to use others to get what he wants.
It touches on all aspects of education and our lives.
The NHL at the end of this process will have learned many lessons. The new NHL may be a far removed version of what it was prior to May 2009.